Saturday, May 10, 2008

Good to be back Blogging!


I have taken a long break since my last blog entry last year. It has been an exciting and interesting year. I have since sold all my interests in one of my companies and finally got some time to catch up with the many many things that I have neglected while in the heat of my own entrepreneurial journey.

With God's grace, I have had the opportunity to enjoy my break from work and get back to blogging. It is also appropriate time for me to read the book, Half Time by Bob Buford. 

My wife picked up the book for me and she has been has been buying a whole bunch of the Half Time book at greatly reduced prices from Book for Life, in Bangsar Baru Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, where apparently some organisation has greatly subsidized the price of the book to RM10 (USD3) each  for all to read.

The book is about Bob Buford, an entrepreneur who built a very successful family business into one of the largest TV and radio station business in the US. At the peak of his business, he sufferred a personal loss of his college going son, and it was that dramatic period that he paused to reflect upon his life. The book highlights the need for everyone to take "half time", to pause and take stock of our working life. His message is simply for everyone to spend half time to figure out what they would like to do, in their second half and to make a difference. Today, he is a speaker and a Christain ministry motivation speaker sharing the same message. The is also half time organisations dedicated to making a difference in half time activities. 

I encourage every entrepreneur to pick up this inspiring book.

2 comments:

Praveen said...

Hi Stephen. Good to see you blogging again (and it's nice to see it appear on my Google Reader as unread)

Where abouts is Book For Life in Bangsar Baru?

Stephen Chia said...

Praven: Thanks. Yes, its nice to blog again and get some creative writing juices flowing. The Books for Life is a unique Christain bookstore located at Jln Telawi 5, just upstairs (first floor) from the Rocky coffeeshop.

-stephen