Friday, August 31, 2007

Happy 50th Merdeka, Malaysia.


Happy 50th Merdeka Malaysia.

Its 3.30am in the morning.. as I park my car near the Dataran Merdeka (Indepedence Plaza) in downtown Kuala Lumpur, coming here early to capture the morning celebrations of the 50th Merdeka (Independence Day) Parade starting in a couple of hours on August 31st.

I remember as a child always without fail waking up early in the morning of August 31st to catch the parade on television. This would be my third time seeing it live. The other two times were actually participating in the national day parade as school children doing the parade celebrations exercise routines.

As a young nation, Malaysia has progressed well and held its own against the other larger or richer nations in the South East region. Just as a small entrepreneurial company starting out in 1957, its has become one of the more successful countries in ASEAN. In spite of all its many issues on politics, judicary and at time strained race relations, it has done well in growing up as a nation of diverse cultures and races. Surrounding me, I see KL buildings all lighted up and for this 50th, even projected images on the building facades, as symbols of the success of Malaysia. Even the twin towers and the KL Towers are decked in red, blue and yellow of our nations colors. Malaysia compared to most troubled nations of the world is still the most peaceful, free and prosperous place that I call home. Glad to be part of the journey.

Happy 50th Birthday, Malaysia! I am proud to be part of your success.

1 comment:

Pradeep Nair said...

Wish you a Happy Independence Day! I was in Malaysia for a week and I thoroughly enjoyed my stay there. A great country out there. What impressed me most was the infrastructure, beauty of the place, cultural tolerance and very affable people. My tour account is on my blog.